Few people might think of beer as one of the most enjoyable parts of a vacation in Belize, but the small Central American nation has a proud history of brewing delicious local lagers.
Perhaps the most famous brewer in Belize is Belikin Beer. With their distinctive logo featuring the ancient Maya site of Altun Ha, Belikin is a multi-generational family-owned business based in Ladyville just outside of Belize City. The name Belikin comes from a Maya term for the Belize River, literally meaning “road to the east.” Founded in 1969, Belikin is the largest domestic producer of beer, producing 450 bottles per minute in their state-of-the-art breweries.
Belikin’s beer offerings include:
- Belikin Beer – The flagship brew, Belikin Beer is a classic European-style lager with an alcohol content of 4.8%.
- Belikin Stout – With a velvety, rich head, Belikin Stout has a delightful smoky taste. Made with German hops, Canadian malt, and cane sugar from Belize.
- Lighthouse Lager – A refreshing, crisp beer, Lighthouse Lager is a Canadian Pilsner with a 4.2% alcohol content.
- Belikin Premium – With a malty, hearty taste, Belikin Premium is made with two different hops and three different malts.
- Guinness Stout – Belikin is a licensed brewer of this classic stout featuring a rich color and assertive bitter overtones.
Belikin also makes a number of seasonal brews, including:
- Chocolate Stout – Inspired by a traditional Maya recipe, Chocolate Sout is a creamy beer with a velvety chocolate finish.
- Sorrel Stout – Introduced for the first time a few years ago, Sorrel Stout features a careful blend of German hops, specialty malts, and local sorrel.
Other Beers Available in Belize
Beer lovers can enjoy a variety of other brews in Belize, including:
- Red Stripe – The Jamaican classic in an iconic rounded bottle.
- Heineken – One of the most popular beers in Europe, Heineken is a pale lager with a distinctly crisp finish.
- Carib – This refreshing lager is brewed in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Dragon Stout – Brewed in Jamaica, Dragon Stout has a rich, velvety head with a lovely dark color obtained from barley.
Enjoy Belizean Beers at Chabil Mar
The bar and restaurant at the award-winning resort of Chabil Mar on the Placencia Peninsula has a full range of Belizean and international beers in stock.
Visitors to the resort can ask the bartender for a recommendation of the best beers to try. The experienced, professional bartenders at Chabil Mar can recommend food pairings and other details about the different beers available in Belize.
Visit our website chabilmarvillas.com for more information on Belize, and don’t hesitate to send us an email, or call US/CAN Toll Free: 1-866-417-2377, Local: (011-501) 523-3606, if you have questions or need help in planning a Belize vacation.