Here are 27 quirky facts that many travelers to Belize are not aware of.
1. The official language of Belize is English.
2. Most Belizeans are trilingual and Spanish and Kriol are also widely spoken in the country.
3. Belize was once home to over 1 million Maya people.
4. Belizean cuisine is an amalgamation of all ethnicities in the country.
5. If Belizean food is what you like, then don’t miss trying the traditional Belizean rice and beans.
6. Placencia, the captivating Peninsula of Southern Belize, offers a tropical paradise with everything from sun-kissed beaches to awe-inspiring diving sites. Arguably, Placencia is one of the most visited vacation spots in Belize.
7. After the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, Belize stands second in the world with its longest reef featuring an abundant of marine life.
8. Belize is home to traditional Mennonites.
9. Belize has acres of pristine coastline featuring white sandy beaches and beautiful offshore islands. Laughing Bird Caye and South Water Caye are two such destinations.
10. Belize’s tropical setting is an ideal habitat for birds, and the country boasts over 300 species of native birds.
11. One of the famous dishes in Belize is made from Gibnut meat. This was the dish presented to Queen Elizabeth during her first visit to this country.
12. Belize’s jungle is home to wild cats, including jaguars and ocelots.
13. Apart from its historic archeological sites, Belize is known for its scuba diving sites. The Blue Hole, one of the world’s most popular sinkhole, is one famous dive site here.
14. Belize received its Independence from Great Britain on 21st September, 1981.
15. Unlike any urban city with high-rises, Belize is blessed with lush nature, acres of rainforest, and the tallest building in the country is Canna Temple, a Maya pyramid at Caracol.
16. Belize is home to many luxury resorts and jungle lodges. However, there are not many all-inclusive branded resorts here.
17. Belize’s size is close to that of New Hampshire in area wise. With a population just over 350,000, the country is one of the sparsely populated nations in the world.
18. Belizeans do use a number of funny Creole phrases such as the ‘Sleeping Policeman’ term for speed breakers.
19. Belizeans love ketchup with their fried chicken instead of hot sauce.
20. Belizeans eat the Marie Sharp hot sauce with almost everything.
21. No time to exchange money? You can use US dollars anywhere in Belize.
22. The locals here love the Punta Rock music.
23. Belize is one of the world’s top destinations for a wedding or honeymoon vacation.
24. Belizeans make some finest handmade chocolates from locally grown cocoa.
25. You will be surprised to find a jaguar crossing sign on the highway.
26. Fry jacks is a favorite breakfast of Belizeans.
27. Belize is home to the world’s loudest creature: the Black Howler Monkey.
Visit our website chabilmarvillas.com for more information on Belize, and don’t hesitate to send us an email, or call US/CAN Toll Free: 1-866-417-2377, Local: (011-501) 523-3606, if you have questions or need help in planning a Belize vacation.
4 thoughts on “27 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Belize”
We are moving to Belize in 2022. Can’t wait! Thank you for all this fantastic info!
I am thinking of moving My son and I down next year. any more info ppl can give would be great. and also question for everyone living here, how hard is it going to be for my 12 year old son that his life revolves around video games 🙁
Wanting to know how is
Weather in belieze for older people…
Hello, Charles. We can only lead you to an article about the year round weather in Belize and suggest you speak with your physician about what our average weather conditions would mean to you. We do hope Belize is a good fit for you and you get to come visit with us someday!
Here is an article about the weather in Belize: https://chabilmarvillas.com/?s=weather+in+belize